From time to time you'll hear us do commercials for certain clients. These are places that we trust to provide you with the best service in town
SANTA FE SPIRTS www.santafespirits.com
VERNON'S HIDDEN VALLEY STEAKHOUSE- www.thehiddensteakhouse.com or call them at (505) 341-0831
LEARNING RX - www.learningrx.com or call them at (505) 856-1596
SOUTHWEST EYECARE- www.southwesteyecare.com/ or call them at 346-0500
IDEAL IMAGE- www.idealimage.com or 1 (800) BE-IDEAL
PREVENTIVE PEST CONTROL- www.preventivepestcontrol.com or (505) 792-8380
ALBUQUERQUE PLUMBING, HEATING & COOLING- www.abqplumb.com or (505) 508-3808
James Blunt stops by the Peak studios for a chat with Jackie, Tony & Donnie, some breakfast and to perform a private acoustic set for some of our listeners!
Here are the pics from Acoustic Christmas featuring Sara Bareilles, Plain White T's, Big Head Todd, Ryan Star, Christina Perri, Hope and Hedley!
1. Eat for Better Brain Function--In a new study, rats completed a maze slower after being fed a high-sugar diet. But when they ate omega-3 fatty acid, the acids protected them from the effects of the sugar.
2. Challenge Yourself--Regular mental challenges force you to think. Use it, or you'll lose it.
3. Switch Up Your News Source—Watching the local news every morning isn’t healthy. You're neglecting an active reading schedule and a whole part of your brain. When you read, you develop concentration, which is huge for healthy aging.
4. Ward off Depression--Mood disorders can be the result of chemical imbalance in the brain. If you're no longer interested in things you used to love, ask a buddy if he has noticed a change. If he has, see a doctor. Losing interest in your hobbies is a major sign of depression. A good remedy is exercise which helps balance the chemicals in the brain.
5. Know What's Normal Memory Loss--Systems like the hippocampus in the brain are important for memory, but they age faster than other brain parts. If you’re worried, compare yourself to others your age. If you don't remember where you parked, but everyone else is walking to the car, that may be a problem. But if you and all of your friends your age have to write down a phone number, don't worry.
6. Move to Remember More--A study found that the striatum, a brain area that handles memories, is bigger in basketball players than non-athletes. A year of regular aerobic exercise can increase the size of an adult's hippocampus by 2 percent.
7. Strength Train--Strength training for 60 minutes, three times a week for 6 months can boost your short and long term memory performance and attention as you age. Focusing on different techniques for different lifts gives a challenge that a repeated exercise might not provide.
8. Drink Up--Don't skip your coffee. Caffeine might protect your memory and improve your focus. Just limit yourself to one cup 30 minutes before you need the boost. The effect can linger up to 6 hours, but research shows that if you up your dosage, it might hurt your cognitive performance.
9. Turn up the Jams--Listening to music at work can lead to "enhanced cognitive performance"—specifically in your ability to stay alert and focused. Just keep the tunes light. Songs with simple structures or a repetitive nature keep you focused on the task at hand. With complex songs, your brain could try and break down rhythms instead of sticking to the task at hand.
10. Chew Gum—Chew bubblegum 15 to 20 minutes before a big presentation. A study found that students who chewed gum a few minutes before a test scored better than those who didn't. It seems that the boost in brainpower comes from a "neural arousal" that's created by chewing.